Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I'm Going Away For A Year-and-a-Half {A Somewhat Brief Explanation}

(But don't worry, my sister Sierra will be posting on my behalf as I am away, and this is not the last post I will be making today)

This is old news for some of you.
But I must say to the rest of you---I'm really sorry to spring this on you all at once, dearest ones. . . but I just wanted to get it over with quick, like ripping off a band-aid.

I am going AWAY.
Like, away away.
From Tumblr and Blogger and Facebook.

Why am I going away? And where to?

Well, my Dear Family, Casual Followers, Avid Readers/Viewers, Supporters, Friends, and Fellow Artists, I have decided to serve as a Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (also known as the Mormon Church). We are most commonly referred to as the Mormon Church because we believe the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible to be the Word of God.
I have been called to serve in Federal Way, Washington from August 2013 to February 2015. 
I leave this Wednesday. So, tomorrow.

I want to be clear about one thing before I proceed: I do not wish to force my beliefs on you. 
Honestly--I just feel like I owe you guys an explanation after your tremendous support and kindness.

Some of you may not know what this means---this "mission" thing.

At first I wrote up this detailed three-page-long description of the process of getting a mission call and preparing to serve a mission and so on.
...But a lot of us these days have the attention span of a gnat and can't read three pages without falling asleep (and by "a lot of us" I mean me. ESPECIALLY ME). 

Here is what it means to me summed up in one word: Sacrifice.

Missionaries sacrifice time away from their families.
They put their education and careers on the back burner to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
They have to give up listening to certain types of music that take away from a peaceful mindset, using the computer for things other than emailing family, and some other materialistic things.
They hand over their lives to God and teach his Word: That God is our Father and he loves us, and that Jesus is our Savior.
They willingly give up focusing on whatever passions or hobbies they might have to serve God and bring happiness to people.

There are lots of other things that LDS Missionaries are asked to sacrifice temporarily, but all that is sacrificed is matched or even doubled in exchange for great learning experiences.


I was recently accepted into the Illustration BFA at my university and it will be a definite sacrifice to leave such awesome people and opportunities behind, even if it is only temporarily.
My biggest passions are people and art, but I don't actually have to give up doing art while I am on my mission, but I do have to give up making it a central part of my life so I channel that focus toward God and others.

My personal Testimony: 
http://mormon.org/me/7Y21

More about the LDS Church, Missions, and Beliefs: 
http://mormon.org/faq


Again-- Because I will be serving this mission, I will not personally be able to post art updates. HOWEVER, I will be able to email my family pictures of any artwork I might have time to make and they will be able to do that for me. ( How nice of them! :) )
That means that this blog will still be alive! :)


1 comment:

  1. I love Karly. I can't wait to see and hear so many things about your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete